January 28, 2009

Ice Storm

They looked like jewels. Like garnets.


People complain about weather problems, and I'm guilty of doing the same. But I try to appreciate the beauty that comes with the problems too. This morning, for a brief moment, the world was frozen. It was quiet. I couldn't hear the hum of the rush-hour traffic on a nearby six-lane highway. Everything was encased in crystal. I did hear a certain dog huffing and rumbling in pleasure as he broke through a layer of ice into the snow though. For a few minutes while Apollo and I wandered around, it felt like we were truly in a small town, as opposed to the suburbs of a city.

And that brings me to the "big news" I've been hinting at for awhile. Most of my friends and family know about it - if you're one of the few that don't, my apologies! I haven't been able to talk to some of you in person for awhile.

In about two months, I will be moving out west, to somewhere along the mountains. I haven't decided where exactly, but right now Colorado Springs is a top contender. Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Fort Collins (north of Denver) are the other contenders.

Some answers to questions I think I'll be hearing in next few weeks...

What will I do for money?
I have money saved, so I should be okay for several months. I'll look for a parttime gig to help stretch out the dollars and start freelance copywriting full time. It's actually an excellent time to start freelancing because companies are outsourcing projects instead of hiring people.

What about photography?
As much as I'd like to make money photographing, I don't think I have sufficient experience yet to pursue it seriously. This'll continue to be a hobby for awhile.

How long will I be out west?
I don't know. I fantasize about living in a town for a few months, then moving on to the next. I'd love to hit Alaska for a year so that I can experience the full cycle of the weathers up there and photograph it. One good thing about this is freelancing will give me the freedom to move around the country.

Will I move back East?
Again, I don't know. It depends on the opportunities and what's going on in my life. I would not mind temporarily living in upstate NY or northern New England though.

Have I told my bosses yet?
Hell no. I'm waiting until after I fly out to visit my sister's family and to scope out the Colorado towns in Feb. I have an idea I'm going to pitch to them, but am waiting as long as possible. Just in case they say, "STFU, don't let the door hit your ass on your way out." In which case, I'd be out of a job a lot sooner than I expected. I have heard from my coworkers that they took on that attitude with some former employees.

For godsake, why?! D.C. is fabulous!
D.C. is fabulous - if you enjoy that lifestyle. I don't regret taking this job nor the time here, but I've known for quite some time that I'm not a city person. At best, I'm a "big town girl." The towns that I listed fall into those categories.

Every chance I get, I head out somewhere outdoors, as opposed to taking advantage of D.C. lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I've gone clubbing, to comedy clubs, art galleries, etc. But they don't give me the same satisfaction I get after a good outing. Of course, my opinion changes when it's 100% humid out. Which is another reason I don't like D.C. - it's literally built on a swamp.

0 Comments (Click here to comment):

About This Blog

A mix of personal-yet-not-too-personal blogging and photoblog.

Recent Posts

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP