December 7, 2007

Survival of the Fittest

I'm reading a book, "Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling. It's not the best book I've read - certainly doesn't have the makings of a classic. However, the concept of this story is very interesting.

It's about how a few different groups survive after some kind of weirdness (I'm not done with the book, and haven't found out what exactly) knocks out all power in the region/country/world (still unknown). It even affected nonelectrical power sources...guns no longer work. Batteries no longer work. No combustion - no cars. And so on. It's sort of Mad Max, multiplied.

The author explores what it'd take to survive, what would happen to billions of people. While I think he glossed over the gruesomeness that would result (he seems to prefer to focus on the inherent good nature in people), I think he captured the big picture pretty well.

So. I started wondering about whether I'd be able to survive. What it'd take. Do I have the smarts, the willpower? Sadly, the unfortunate truth is, probably not. Being deaf puts me at an enormous disadvantage, and I'd have to rely on other people to survive. And it'd be very difficult for me to put trust, to put my life in hands of other people in that kind of environment.

And adding to that, I have no survival skills to speak of. I don't hunt, I don't shoot (archery), I don't know how to skin animals, I don't know how to farm, or how to fight in hand-to-hand combat. About the only thing I do know is how to ride -- and that knowledge is a distant memory. I haven't ridden since I was 12 or 13. I don't know diddly squat.

Knock on wood! Let's hope this never happens.

1 Comments (Click here to comment):

Anonymous,  December 8, 2007 at 9:36 PM  

Want to learn how to shoot? I could also teach you to skin animals - but - we'd have to shoot something first

About This Blog

A mix of personal-yet-not-too-personal blogging and photoblog.

Recent Posts

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP